-- In His Strength: Death to the Writing Exam www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Monday, October 24, 2005

Death to the Writing Exam

I have a feeling I am taking it again next semester.

This past Saturday was the Writing Prociciency Assessment I signed up for weeks ago. There is really no preparation for it other than two weeks before the exam you can print off the short reading for it. I had read through the article every day for a week trying to get a grasp on it, sometimes two or three times in a day. I felt nervous, but a few days before I gained a bit of confidence. Partway though the exam, it was all shot to heck.
The title of the story to read was "Lies for the Public Good". It talked mostly about how politicians usually use this to gain ones votes. There were two questions of which we chose one to write an up to three page essay. The first question I read twice and "Huh?", so I chose the second one. The second question asked me to write about my personal experience with lying to someone other than a child.
I am not declaring myself a saint in any way shape or form, but I couldnt think of anything. Sure I could think of other examples other than my own, and wrote three paragraphs or so on those. Half hour left and thought of an example pertaining to me, but the circumstances behjind it were a bit too personal for mer to feel comfotable sharing. A page and a half and I was stumped. I hear keyboards clacking even before I was done reading the article, which only made my anxiety worse!


I love to write yes, but give me a time limit and I choke!
Oh well, better luck net time...I guess.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Lance Fisher said…

    The whole idea of the writing assessment is misconstructed. Why, after taking and passing English courses which are required for a college degree, are you also required to take a writing exam? Shouldn't this, if deemed necessary, be incorporated into the class? Perhaps they should also require students to take a Mathematics Proficiency Exam, or a Basic Science Assessment, or maybe a Reading Profiencey Exam or Non-Western Knowledge Assesment. As it is, it is just another inconvenience and annoyance for students which costs the University extra money. I'm glad I happened to fall into the group of students who don't have to take it. I'm a transfer student.

    So did you pass?

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger XAgirl said…

    Unfortunately I had looked online yesterday (Saturday) and my score was a twenty-two. I needed a thirty-three to pass. looks like I will be taking it again. This time I will be better prepared! My next chance is sometime next semester.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home