-- In His Strength: HFTCN: VBS and Custer's Battlefield www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Sunday, August 21, 2016

HFTCN: VBS and Custer's Battlefield

Okay, so I posted a lot of what God did to us and through us on our missions trip to Crow agency, this post is entirely dedicated to the kids and how ,well, of course, I wanted to take them all home with me

Hardin and Lodgegrass
Crow Native Americans

Psalm 33:12 (our theme for the week)
Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen for His inheritance

I was up at 5:30 a.m. to be a the church at 7:30a.m.. After a quick prayer of safety for all, and we were on the road  by 8:00 a.m. Well, we were supposed to be, most everyone showed up late (Bitterroot time)

Tank and I are in my van, Kim Rockwell is driving and Cathy Rouse is riding shotgun. I am situated behind the drivers seat with my power chair locked into place. Tank is already asleep on the back seat, guarding my suitcase. Cathy Rouse makes jewelry as part of her work, so she and Kim were talking about porcupine quills made into jewelry.
Even after all that praying , .....what ministry trip would be complete without a test (a little engine trouble) ?  My van decides its going to run slow. Huh, gauges looked normal, but suddenly we are doing 25 on a 80mph highway. We pull over...../
     "The enemy has been defeated, death couldn't hold you down. We're gonna lift our voice in victory , make our praises LOUD! Shout unto God with a voice of triumph, shout unto God with a voice of praise! We lift Your name up, we lift Your name up!
     Stopped at a rest stop/gas station to inquire of my parents to know what to do.  Josh Weaver, pastors son, buys me a pack of gum. Cathy meanwhile, is the calm  and encouraging one.
When I get stressed, apparently I chew gum faster. Meanwhile, on Christian radio, "Here in the power of Christ I stand!"  All I can do is laugh in the enemy's face. We are getting there one way or another.
In our waiting, Kim's girl Alyssa has a game with origami. Apparently, I will marry a prince and have a pet dog. GREAT, I am already halfway there!             

Day two we are driving to the church from our hotel and there is an awesome lightning show going on all around us.

Wait. .....suddenly nobody can find Pastor Eisele ......he had gone fishing on someone's boat  with a few others.

Later in the day, I am cutting pool noodles so that we may decorate them as light sabers. And two of our VBS'ers are having light saber wars with me. HA!

A child's laugh is the best sound in the world

One of the children says to me, "You have a cute dog, he's super cool!"  Thanks kid, I couldn't agree more.  :)

Our schedule each day consisted of children in three groups, Kindergarten and 1st grade was first, 2nd and 3rd graders in the second group, and finally the 4th through 6th grades. We ended with lunch for all the kids, which  we were able to participate in. To make conversation with children, on occasion I would ask a child what their favorite part of the day was. 

After each day of VBS, we had the choice of hanging out in our hotel rooms OR , going sightseeing. As tired as I was , I was able to rest a bit before we headed out.

Our first day was taking a tour of Custer's Battlefield.  I found it interesting that Custer converted the Crow Indians to Christianity. I noticed that upon looking at the grave markers,  a few scattered here and there were not white, but black.  It turns out that the black markers represented Native AMericans who were killed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home