-- In His Strength: Adventures in Preschool II www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Friday, March 30, 2007

Adventures in Preschool II

This, already my third week being a Fort Courage Employee, was a great week. I would have to say that Wednesday was by far my best day ever.

As is always the case, whenever I go outside for recess with our preschoolers, the two-year-olds come crowd around me, arguing about who's turn it is to push my wheelchair around the playground. I think I'm their favorite toy. Drew and Madison are so darn cute!

One little boy, TJ, in our preschool classroom is especially fond of me. The first day I was there, he hung around me I'm sure because of Alehe. But even now that I don't have her with me, he still hangs around me more than his daycare friends. This week he and another little boy , Seth, are having fun with me. Indoors they tie any sort of string in the spokes of my chair (Seth: I'm going to tangle you with my tangly tangles!", and the other day had three of their other friends helping them by building a block structure around my wheelchair so I couldn't go anywhere. And if I succeeded in trying to get away...they would drag my wheelchair back to where we were playing. If I got one of his toys that he stuck in the spokes of my wheels and held it up really high it was"Hey, Buster!" Now I am "Buster" to TJ whenever I do the opposite of what he wants. The entire class took a walk around the entire block and got to play in the field near the Center. TJ stuck by me the entire way up until they got to run. On the way back he was beside me once again.

I started doing more in the classroom the past few days. Unfortunately, since I am just an aide, I don't get to teach any lessons, or circle times, bummer :(. Maybe someday. Although lately I have been wondering if I will ever get to a point of being able to teach my own class, seeings how ,because of my spina bifida, my stamina isn't quite what it used to be.

Today I was setting up and cleaning up before and after snacktime and lunchtime, putting finished art projects in their cubbies, straightening mats preschoolers sit on at circle and story times, as well as the usual playing with/supervising children.

It's crazy, in the mornings when I wake up at 6:15 to get ready for work, I want to sleep more. But when it comes time to end my shift at the daycare center, I don't want to go home yet.

Time flies when you're having fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home