-- In His Strength: The Job Search www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Job Search

When I first started looking (not all that seriously), there were plenty of positions advertised in the paper. Problem was I was still in the last weeks of completing my internship. The thought of starting a job and completing an internship sort overwhelmed me. One thing at a time.
Now that I am done with my internship and seriously looking? Nada
Career sites online did not help any, they kept giving me outrageous positions w a-a-ay out of my league in which I had absolutely no interest nor qualification!

I came across an article a few days ago that had 100 possible interview questions. I did my best to answer the questions in my head, as if I were sitting right there in front of a potential employer. Some questions made me laugh, like "Why is there fuzz on a tennis ball?"
Funny, butI had to look this one up. I was curious to see if there was an answer, and what it might be.


There has always been fuzz--it's key to the way the ball bounces, it does slow
the ball down, and it also reduces some of the "curve ball" effects it would
otherwise experience. The fuzz increases the wind resistance which slows down
the ball, allowing for longer volley's. Without it, the ball would fly off the
court after every serve! It also helps players control the ball, keeping it
stuck to the racket longer so you can hit it.

Anyway...
other questions were:

Tell me one thing about yourself you wouldn't want me to know.
(Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of not wanting you to know?)

How many times do a clock's hands overlap in a day?

How would you weigh a plane without scales?
(I don't do math!)

and the very last question...
Tell me 10 ways to use a pencil other than writing.
(I can only think of one. My brother and I when we were much younger would ball up foil and stick it on the end of a sharpened pencil...Voila, a microphone!)

I hope to in the next couple of weeks polish my resume that I may send it to Head Start. Why Head Start you may ask? I was a Head Starter as a preschooler. In fat, I still remember a few things about my time in the program. A few people have asked me "what about the CLC preschool?" I may just inquire about working there too, since more than one person brought it up. I take that as a hint.

I have been working with Vocational Rehabiltitation as far as schooling goes, and now that I am done they are willing to help me with job placement. I couldn't get a meeting with my counselor until the end of June. In the meantime, I'm taking a breather.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally see you in the Head Start program. I just read about it (today! seriously!) in my Child Psychology book. They were saying that it would appear that the children had jumps in their IQs, but, when they got to adulthood, they were just like everyone else. Now, that's missing a point- if they hadn't had the program, they would have struggled in school and probably dropped out! I like the Head Start program. Hope you can get hired by one.

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Lance Fisher said…

    Those interview questions are funny. Microsoft is notorious for their impossible interview questions. Things like, "How many gas stations are there in L.A.?" They don't really care if you have the right answer, they just want to see if you can think through the problem and not get flustered when you don't know the answer right away.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home