-- In His Strength: Sunday Sermon - A People Who Wrestle with God www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sunday Sermon - A People Who Wrestle with God

There is something to be said about coming to a church service with an expectant heart. I came expecting...and God delivered.

Scott preached a message at CLC two Sundays ago. His sermons never cease to amaze me. In my opinion, there are only two types of sermons he preaches: ones I can wholeheartedly agree with, or ones that mess me up royally. This was a mess me up royally as I sat there at the end and cried.


When we wrestle with God it's best to hold on knowing it's the best for me
What's on the other side is something beautiful (singleness?)
(my prayers often feel like a wish list to God)
Israelites - people who wrestle with God and overcome
Unless we wrestle, we will not know the heart of God (my desire, to know God's heart)
When we sin we hide, and and are not engaged with God
God's goal when wrestling - 1. pin Him
2. get him to submit (for me, it felt more like this one)
This made me thing of Job in the Bible
Am I only worshipping God when He blesses me?
3 things God does when wrestling - 1. Admit who we are
God can change our identity
God may not be done creating us into who we are
when we are blessed
Who we are does not have to be who we are for
all eternity
2. See who He is
Look for more than regulations when we read His word
God is God in every moment
3. Bring us to a place where we put our trust in Him
GOD - "Do you trust me?"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home