-- In His Strength: Talk About Awkward! www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Talk About Awkward!

So Saturday evening I got set up on a blind date, if that's what you wanna call it. A former roomie and a mutual friend went along also. It was kind of a weird situation. A friend of mine thought the two of us would be a good couple. He is 35, also a Christian and in a wheelchair. (I later found out it was a car accident 20 years ago) Four of us met at southgate mall and hung out shopping together for a few hours. I bought a few things; shoes, CD and DVD. I had a giftcard for Sam Goody and the shoes I have weren't supporting my feet to much anymore. I felt like we pretty much did our own thing at the mall, T and I together and J and R together. We didn't hang out much there. My former roomie and I went to a movie afterward while the other two went out to dinner with a friend of theirs (already planned) so we would meet them later for yet another movie.

My former roomie and I went to see 16 Blocks. I had never heard if it before, but she said it was supposed to be really good. It was awesome! I think we gave one of the ticket sellers a shock. We came out of the first movie only to turn right around once we met the other two and went right back in. The second movie we saw was Pink Panther. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. It was a bit on the cheesy side, but I did laugh.

Part way through the second movie something dawned on me. Right in front of where my former roomie and I sat there was a loveseat. Why don't they have something like that for people in wheelchairs I wonder? He had to sit at the opposite end of our row. So my former roomie and I sat together while the other two sat together on the other side. It made for an awkward evening. At least the four of us got in for free .

I saw him at church this morning. He didn't say anything to me, and when I turned around to talk to him after the service, he was already gone.

As far as I know, the only thing we had in common were that we both were christians and used wheelchairs. I did find out tht he was a business major when in school. He didnt talk much when he was around, but he loved Ally (and vice versa, no surprise there).

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At the theaters over by my house, there is enough room in the wheelchair section to fit about 6 of them at once! Some other theaters barely have enough room for one, and then usually some mom has parked her baby stroller (with screaming infant) in it.

     
  • At 12:10 AM, Blogger Lizard said…

    aaaaah! A blind date! Did he have long hair? ;)

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger XAgirl said…

    His hair ws short, why do you ask?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home