-- In His Strength: The Prayer of a Righteous Man... www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Prayer of a Righteous Man...



Some nights I fall into bed, and its the last thing I remember. Other times I start,... and don't ever remember finishing (meaning I fell asleep somwhere in that time). Most of the time it's as if my prayers are nothing but a "wish list" to God...and who knows if He will answer.
A few years ago around the same time my grandmother was ill, I was awakened one night by a dream. I saw my grandmothers face, contorted in pain. I spent a good part of an hour at least, praying for her comfort and rest. The night my grandmother passed away I prayed for her. I lay in bed, not even knowing what to pray for as I didn't feel it would make much difference. I knew she was in a lot of pain (masked by the medications and other therapies). Something inside me released her to the Lord as it was the only thing I could think of to do. The next morning as I get ready for class, my phone rang and I immediately knew who was calling and why. I cried my eyes out yes, but strangely, there was an inner peace about me, hard to explain.
The Lord's Prayer, the Five Finger prayer (dear God help me now!), Prayer of Jabez, and the Acts of prayer (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication) ...and so many others! it amazes me how many different ways to pray that people emphasize, as if one is better than all the rest. (Though I can't say I haven't tried them).
I tried using a prayer journal, only to be frustrated at the number of entries and the so few answers (He's still working on my patience, probably forever will be!).
The wife of a previous campus pastor once told me before our Thursday night meetrintgs that she felt I had the gift of prayer. I love to pray for people, Often times I used to find myself racking my brain for things I could pray when I heard others praying (praying aloud is getting better, however still not my strongpoint). Now though I rely more on the Hloly Spirit's promtings adn pay more attention to what otghers ared praying. Sometimes in their prayer, something sparks an idea of what to pray for.

Meanwhile, God is still teaching me about prayer.

I can remember as a kid, praying with mom just before I go to bed. Even when I was older and on my own, for years that's what I did...saving prayer time for just before falling asleep. Today, I can be anywhere and say a silent prayer for whomever God lays on my heart at the moment. Today, I have a reminder stuck to my computer to be praying for the Slovakia team. (Scott, Jess, Sylvia, Courtney, Megan Sherer,...). I used ot bring a radio of some sort into teh bathroom as I get ready for the day. Now I spend that time in silent prayer.

2 Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home