-- In His Strength: Adventures in Cooking I - Sick of the Microwave www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Monday, August 21, 2006

Adventures in Cooking I - Sick of the Microwave

Okay, so I am finding outI love to cook (except when I am hungry, then I find the quickest thing possible to make). I am just getting sick of putting things in the microwave. This past week, I spent a small amount of my grad money and went to buy a crock-pot from Wal Mart. The smallest one they had was I think three-meal sized. but no, I decided against that one, and bought the five meal deal. A bit more expensive (I think I only spent around thirty bucks) , but at least I can make enough meals to last a few days.

This whole thing with cooking has been quite the learning experience for me. Actually, the mishaps have been a bit on the comical side.
Learning Experience #1: I had just bought a Calzone Momma Zula's Pizza in the Country store on the UM campus. I lived in Pantzer Hall at the time and so wehn I got back to my room, popped it into the microwave to heat it up a bit more. Bad idea. I did not think anything of the foil wrapper it was in and within seconds heard what sounded like an inferno in my microwave. It happened so fast there was not enough smoke to set off the smoke alarm. Whew!
Learning Experience #2: I tried to cook a bowl of rice in the micrwave. I thouight a plastic bowl would work fine. When the microwave went off, I opened the door and pulled the bowl out, only for the bottom of the bowl (filled with mega-burnt rice) stayed in the microwave and the rest was in my hand.
Learning Experience #3: It was New Year's Eve 2000 and I had my best friend over at my parents when visiting mom and dad for the holidays. I made grilled cheese sandwiches on the stove. In the midst of all that...I set off the smoke alarm. Here's me flinging open every door in the house I could think of, and my best friend is wsaving a towel underneath the smoke alarm to get it to shut up. Meanwhile, the four dogs are having a cow! The sandwiches were a bit on the dark side, but not too bad.
Learning experience #4: I am too short when it comes to looking into any type of cooking appliance not waist level. Making rosette's I(deep fat ried cookies doused with colored sugar)one year for Christmas, I peeked over the deep fryer. I brushed my cheeck against it and OW! That hurt! Burn mark on my face. Oh brother!

J9 has basically banned me from ever using the oven, OR the stove. Food comes out fine there, seems I keep burning myself. Whilst trying to pour hot water into a ramen cup I think it was, the water accidentally ran down my arm. A slight burn on the forearm, and ruined my favorite sweater. Burnt a hole in the elbow.

I need to find me a man that can cook!

Rael and I put together a roast, potatoes and carrots, adding a few spices here and there, some beef bouillon and I cant remember what else. This time Rael hurt herself in the process, cutting her finger on the knife. She said it bled like crazy. I helped cut the potatoes, surprised I didn't cut myself.
how the meal turned out - scrumdiddlyumtious

Now about the counters in my kitchen... (stay tuned for that one)

More cooking endeavors coming soon I'm sure!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am champion of the basic cooking process. I like it easy but yummy.

    Try this - oh, and you can (and should) get the tiny crock pot from Wal-Mart. And, a rice cooker. Both around 10-20 bucks. In the tiny crock, put pinto beans in, in the morning. Cook all day. Then, one hour before dinner, put the rice in. That means put in water and rice and hit the button. Then I season my meat (uh, Mrs. Dash + salt and pepper) and put in in the oven. With a TIMER.

    Take those beans and put them in a food processor or a blender with some bean juice and salt and you've got instant refried beans. The rice will be fluffy and never overcooked because rice cookers are awesome like that. Then the meat goes ding! and dinner is ready and you really didn't do anything.

    I do that allllllll the time. Pretty much, I just vary the meat (chicken, pork, fish, beef) and instead of beans I eat defrosted frozen mixed vegetables. But I always have rice.

    On a super + side, this doesn't make tons of mess, either.

     
  • At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love to cook you even want any easy ideas just let me know. Ellie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home