-- In His Strength: SUMMIT High School Presentations www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, June 04, 2019

SUMMIT High School Presentations

Public speaking, I love the thought of it but when it comes time to standing in front of a crowd, that's when the nerves creep in. Outlines don't do me much good as I tend to jump around , thinking of better ways to say what I want to say.

(Listening to 'Take My Will' (by cc artist Richard Andrew) while reading the notes that students write to one or more Peers. These notes contain what the students take away from our stories.


"Seeking more of You and finding less of me, and now I'm free"

What I am teaching them , and in turn they are teaching me

Notes from students
5/ 12
Keeping positive/ using strategies for mental health
making the best of a situation
Life is a gift, we shouldn't waste it by letting it get us down and pitiful
Inspiring others to go after their dreams (students telling me they also want to work with children)
Never give up on yourself
Don't be afraid to take help when offered. it opens new opportunities
*Don't ever get bitter*
Inspiring
Finding your passion, a good way to balance your mental health.


Mrs. A’s class “not talk about God so much as a student complained"
(I sent a message (more like a rant)  to my friend RA who does public speaking as well as his music and was very much blessed by his response. He had some words that were tough, I was a bit hurt by the teacher's response, discouraged, unsure of how to proceed with the next speaking engagement. But his words cause me to think differently and to move forward in faith.
               Richard Andrew You're very patient my friend. I realized soon after considering my response that it would be the length of a book. And some of my thoughts may surprise you. I'll try and be brief: I have been honored to serve the Gospel in the earth in many secular environments. I've experienced similar feedback as you in this instance. I too was initially frustrated and experienced some measure of offense at their response. But I've learned much over the years and grown in many areas. It sounds like you were at a school? I'm guessing a public school? If this is the case, I would ask what did you expect? Did you think you would receive the embrace of the church in a public school? Probably not, but I'm sure you didn't expect to be censored either. And that's understandable. One expects to hear about God in a church or a church sanctioned event. However most are not expecting to hear about Him in non-religious venues or events. So it's completely understandable that the teacher would respond in this way. Were you brought in to talk about Jesus or talk about another topic? We must have a measure of grace to navigate these secular waters. And we must use wisdom too. We could push back and possibly get a green light to speak freely, but in the process we might have pushed someone further away from Jesus with our self-righteous demands for religious freedoms. We leave thinking God patted us on the back for defending His name, and totally miss How He may feel about our pushing someone further away from the truth. Love is kind and patient. It keeps no record of the wrong doings of others. The Bible instructs us not to serve pork for dinner if our dinner guests believe it's wrong to eat pork; even though we know the truth is we're free to do so. What's the message here? The Apostle Paul said, "I have become all things to all men that in doing so, I might save some." There's something about offering grace to fill in the areas between our belief systems and the belief systems of others. It makes sense to initially want to rise up against such censorship, but the Bible is clear.. His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts; they're higher. To think we always know the best response in awkward moments is pretty darn bold if you ask me. Love covers wrong doings. And yes, that goes for the wrongs of those who got under our skin. A measure of patience & love goes a long way. It sounds like you handled the situation well; simply respecting their wishes. I think it was Mother Teresa that said something along the lines of 'share Jesus; use words if/when necessary'. There are many ways to share our faith. His fingerprints are all over our lives. Sharing any part of it points toward His love and divinity. Building relationships often bears fruit; and that takes time. So this one opportunity might lead to another more intimate setting where there's more freedom? Who knows. Shouting Jesus from atop a soapbox may seem commendable, yet may not result in many decisions for Jesus. You went there to serve. Serving others always mirrors Jesus and bears fruit. Your life shouts Jesus...without the help of your voice. Pray before. Thank Him after; for taking your limited words and using them to touch hearts and point toward Him. Keep being you sis. And pray for these that reject your message. Don't carry the offense! Paul said to shake the dust from your feet and move on! I'll leave you with this, the Bible also says to "cast not your pearls before swine; lest they turn and trample you". Non believers don't speak Christianese. . . in some cases they simply don't understand it and in other cases they're down right offended by it. You need wisdom to navigate where and when to speak; "Be slow to speak and quick to listen". But all people speak the language of love, and hope. God is love. And Jesus is the "hope of glory". You did nothing wrong at this speaking engagement. You spoke of Him because "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks". Glory! However the teacher didn't do anything wrong either. You both did what you thought was right based on your individual belief systems in this world and the messiness of our culture. Jesus said, "they rejected me so they'll reject you..." You probably wouldn't have been offended if you were asked to not speak about the Easter bunny; and that's because you don't believe in the Easter bunny. Well many don't believe in our Jesus, so we must lean on the power of the Holy Spirit. HE is very creative and will make a way where there is no way. I don't have to tell you that God loves that teacher. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED sis! You have a powerful ministry. I feel it in my spirit. Press in and press on. Keep living out loud and loving well. -ra

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home