-- In His Strength: Game, Set, Match www.superfluousbanter.org

In His Strength

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength --- Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Game, Set, Match

How terribly depressing, but what's an adoring afn to do?
A few weeks ago, Andre Agassi announced the U.S. Open would be his last tournament, he would retire from tennis. OUCH! That hurt. I remember watching him at the young age of 17 when he still had long hair, a dangly earring in one ear and sported the phrase "Image is everything"on t.v. commercials. He wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt and shorts that came to the knees. It's always sad when one of the greats decides to hang his or her hat and call it a career. Chris Evert did. Boris Becker did, as a few others.

What is worse. his retirement came early, suffering defeat by 112th ranked German, Benjamin Becker(of no relation to another retired tennis great Boris Becker). I had hoped to watch one of his final matches. I happened to catch (when I remembered it was on) the last few minutes of a match played the day before as it was in rain delay. He won that match and I was thrilled. Unfortunately not having cable, I didnt see his final match.

You bet I am saving the sports section of the paper with the goodbye article

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5923380


Interactive
U.S. Open

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home